KID’S FUN RUN T-SHIRT DESIGN CONTEST WINNER
2021 THEME: TBA
Congratulations to Ruben Fenton, a 6-year-old McGaugh Kindergartener who won the Kid’s Fun Run t-shirt design contest!
Ruben is the middle child of 3 siblings and is known to be a kind and helpful brother. He loves to draw and write in his journal when he is not out hunting bugs! This was his first year to enter the annual t-shirt design contest, so he and his family were thrilled and surprised to hear that his artwork had been selected by the Run Seal Beach t-shirt design committee as this year’s winner.
As the winner of the contest, Ruben’s design will be on all of the Kid’s Fun Run T-Shirts. In addition, he will get to host a private pool party for his family and friends this Summer at the McGaugh swimming pool. On race day, Ruben will have the opportunity to either run with his fellow Kid’s Fun Run runners or head up the Fun Run in the start car with Sammy, the Seal!
KID’S FUN RUN | PARENT GUIDE
- We request ALL children running the Kids Run wear their issued brightly colored race t-shirt, race bib number, and wristband for visibility and safety.
- Parents need to wear matching # wristband. Please include on wristband: CHILD’S NAME, PARENT NAME, and CELL PHONE #. If you have multiple children in the run, please wear all matching wristbands. The wristbands are used for identification at Fun Zone check out. The parent picking up their child MUST HAVE on matching wristband.
- The race starts at the corner of FIRST STREET and MARINA DRIVE (where the 5/10K starts) and finishes at 8th and OCEAN at the park next to the pier (across from Cold Stone). There is a yellow banner near the Fun Zone entrance. Review the course with your child. Make a plan for pick up and stick to the plan. It’s a good idea to review this the night before as well as the morning of the event.
- Line up at the start line NO LATER THAN 7:20 am. We start on time and don’t want anyone to miss out! Parking can be difficult, so plan ahead. Go to RunSealBeach.com for parking information.
- Our team of running volunteers escorts all children participating in the Fun Run into the Fun Zone area. They must have on their wristband to enter the Fun Zone.
- Parents are welcome to run with their children without any entry fee for the 1K. Parents cannot enter the Fun Zone, but the children are visible from outside the fencing. If you are pushing a stroller, please stay to the side of the race route to prevent tripping.
- Our event is a “Fun Run”—we do not record time or give placement awards. Each runner will receive a Kids Fun Run finisher’s ribbon!
- The wristband is their “ticket” into the fun zone. We will not allow entrance into the fun zone without it. Once in the Fun Zone, a child can only be checked out by a parent with the matching wristband. Due to the number of children at the event, we cannot allow in and out access to the Fun Zone.
- If you are leaving your child in our care, your child should know that they are expected to listen to and respect our volunteers. Our volunteers are present to provide safety and security to all of the participants.
- Entertainment in the Fun Zone includes games and crafts with our team of fun volunteers. We have bottled water, bananas, and dye-free mini popsicles. It is a nut-free and gluten-free zone. The fun zone has porta-potties- 1 for boys and 1 for girls.
- Children are not allowed to leave the Fun Zone until the parent presents a matching wristband. This is how we ensure every child’s safety! Please be patient at check out as we have many children being checked out simultaneously. All children must be picked up from Fun Zone by 9:30 am.
Thank you for your participation and for helping us make this a successful event!
KID’S FUN RUN | FAQ’s
Do I need to be registered to run alongside my child in the Fun Run?
No, parents and guardians do not need to register to run in the Fun Run with their child.
Do the kids get medals?
Each child gets a participation ribbon.
Are the children timed in the Fun Run?
We don’t time the children–this run is just for fun!
How old should the kids be for the Fun Run?
Children must be between the ages of 3-10.
When do I pick up my child’s shirt?
Kids packs are available at the registration pick up at the Marina Center (1st and Marina) on Friday before the race from 2 pm-8 pm. The kids pack has their tshirt and race bib, a wristband for the child and the parent, and some goodies.
Where does the kids run start?
The Kids 1K Fun Run starts at the same place as the 5/10k on the corner of Marina and 1st.. It starts promptly at 7:30.
Where does the kids run end and where is the Fun Zone?
The kids run ends where the gated Fun Zone area is. The Fun Zone is in the park next to the pier across from Cold Stone. There will be a yellow flag outside the Fun Zone. It is adjacent to the 5/10k finish line.
Can I run the 5 or 10 K while my child is in the 1K run and Fun Zone?
You know your child best! If your child listens to instructions well, we have a team of running volunteers that supervise and guide the kids. All participants MUST wear a wristband in order to enter the Fun Zone. They cannot enter without it.
Will a volunteer run with my child?
We have an abundance of high school volunteers supervising and running with the children but we cannot provide 1:1 supervision due to the number of participants in this event. You can run with your child in the Fun Run and return to the start line for the 5/10k. The kid’s Fun Run is usually finished by 7:45.
Does my child need to wear the T-shirt? What if it’s cold?
We recommend all the participants wear the brightly colored shirt that you get when you register for ease of identification by our volunteers. If it’s cold, have your child wear a long sleeve shirt under the T-shirt.
How is my child released from the Fun Zone?
Our team of volunteers has strict instructions to only release the child to the person who has their matching wristband.
What time is pick up?
All children must be picked up by 9:30.
Can I run alongside one child and have another in a stroller?
Yes. We prefer if you stay to the sides of the run so you don’t trip anyone.
We aren’t sure who will pick up our child since we are both running the 5k so who should wear the matching wristband?
At registration, request an additional wristband and we will number it to match your child so either parent or guardian can pick up your child.
Can I get a Kids 1k Fun Run T-shirt and run in the 5k?
For the race, the 5k and 10k participants should NOT be wearing the kids 1k Fun Run T-shirt. For safety reasons, only the 1k participants should be wearing them-that’s why we have the shirts in bright colors. If there are any left over T-shirts, they will be sold at the finish line/vendor area after the 5k and 10k are finished.