KID’S FUN RUN T-SHIRT DESIGN CONTEST
2018 THEME: “Silly Sammy, Running is for Kids!”
The Run Seal Beach™ Race Committee is looking for creative students to draw our T-shirt design for the 2018 Kids 1K Fun Run! Because of the support of our fantastic Partner, the City of Seal Beach, we have an AWESOME PRIZE for the winner!
The winner of the contest will get their design on all of the Kid’s Fun Run T-Shirts AND a *POOL PARTY at McGaugh swimming pool for 25 friends!
Who Can Enter? Any current student who attends an elementary school in the LAUSD district or Seal Beach homeschoolers (Kindergarteners to age 10 by 12/1/2017)
Rules for Entry – Entries will be judged by the Run Seal Beach™ Race Committee for their artistic merit and how their artwork relates to the theme: ”Silly Sammy, Running is for Kids!”
- Artwork must be submitted on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of white paper
- Artwork may include up to 3 colors (black and white are “free”)
- Artwork must include the likeness of the Kids 1K Mascot “Sammy the Seal”
- Artwork must include the theme “Silly Sammy, Running is for Kids!”
How to Enter: -Complete your design according to the guidelines above
- Print and fill out the entry form here: Kids T-shirt Entry Form 2018 pdf
- Attach your original artwork
- Please put your full name on the back of the artwork only
- Submit to the McGaugh front office or mail to PO Box 190 SB, CA 90740
DUE BY: FRIDAY FEB 16th Winners will be announced soon after!
*Pool Party maximum of 25 people on deck, with the date to be agreed upon with Seal Beach Recreation Department.
KID’S FUN RUN | PARENT GUIDE
Our Kids 1K Fun Run & Fun Zone is a great place for your child (3-10 years old) to be entertained while you complete the 5/10k. At the end of the 1K, they are escorted into the fenced area full of games, crafts, and fun volunteers. We have special Fun Run shirts and a wristband/bib system to help keep your child safe. All of this is included in your Kids Fun Run Registration!
- Kids in race should wear our Kids Fun Run race t-shirt, bib number & wristband
- Wristband is their “ticket” into the Fun Zone. Must have wristband to enter!
- Parents need to wear matching wristband for pick up from Fun Zone
- Parents can run with their child without an adult race registration
- Kids 1k Fun Run starts at promptly at 7:30 and Fun Zone closes at 9:30
- We recommend ALL children running the Kids Run wear their Kids Fun Run colored race t-shirt, race bib number and wristband for visibility and safety.
- Parents should wear a matching # wristband. On the child’s wristband, please include: CHILD’S NAME, PARENT NAME, and CELL PHONE #. If you have 2 or more children in the run, please wear all matching wristbands. The wristbands are used for identification at Fun Zone check out.
- The race STARTS at the corner of FIRST STREET and MARINA DRIVE (where the 5/10K starts) and FINISHES at 8th and OCEAN at the park next to the pier (across from Cold Stone). There is a yellow banner near the Fun Zone entrance. Review the course with your child. Make a plan for pick up and stick to the plan. It’s a good idea to review this the night before as well as the morning of the event.
- Line up at the start line NO LATER THAN 7:20 am. We start on time and don’t want anyone to miss out! Parking can be difficult, so plan ahead. Go to RunSealBeach.com “Race Day” tab for information.
- Our team of running volunteers escort all children participating in the Fun Run into the Fun Zone area. They must have on their wristband to enter the Fun Zone.
- Parents are welcome to run with their children (no registration needed for parent in Kids Fun Run).. If you are pushing a stroller, please stay to the side of the race route. Parents cannot enter the Fun Zone. All the fun can be watched from outside the fencing.
- Our event is truly a “Fun Run”—no timing, no placement. No need to push to the front…it’s all for fun. We want everyone to have a good time. Each runner will receive a finishers ribbon!
- The wristband is their “ticket” into the fun zone. We will not allow entrance into the fun zone without it. Once a child is checked into the fun zone, they must stay until the parent comes to pick them up. Due to the number of children at the event, we cannot allow in and out access to the Fun Zone.
- If you are leaving your child in our care, your child should know that they are expected to listen to and respect our volunteers. Our volunteers are present to provide safety and security (and fun!).
- Entertainment in the Fun Zone includes games and crafts with our team of great volunteers. Sammy the Seal, our mascot, is also there. We have bottled water, bananas, and dye-free popsicles. It is a nut-free and gluten-free zone. The Fun Zone has portapotties- 1 for boys and 1 for girls.
- Children are not allowed to leave the Fun Zone until the parent presents a matching wristband. This is important for you to abide by for obvious safety reasons. Please be patient at check out as we have many children being checked out simultaneously. All children must be picked up from Fun Zone by 9:30 am.
Thank you for your participation and for helping make this a successful event! Have fun!
KID’S FUN RUN | FAQ’s
Do I need to be registered to run alongside my child in the Fun Run?
No, parents and guardians do not need to register to run in the Fun Run with their child.
Do the kids get medals?
Each child gets a participation ribbon.
Are the children timed in the Fun Run?
We don’t time the children–this run is just for fun!
How old should the kids be for the Fun Run?
Children must be between the ages of 3-10.
When do I pick up my child’s shirt?
Kids packs are available at the registration pick up at the Marina Center (1st and Marina) on Friday before the race from 2 pm-8 pm. The kids pack has their tshirt and race bib, a wristband for the child and the parent, and some goodies.
Where does the kids run start?
The Kids 1K Fun Run starts at the same place as the 5/10k on the corner of Marina and 1st.. It starts promptly at 7:30.
Where does the kids run end and where is the Fun Zone?
The kids run ends where the gated Fun Zone area is. The Fun Zone is in the park next to the pier across from Cold Stone. There will be a yellow flag outside the Fun Zone. It is adjacent to the 5/10k finish line.
Can I run the 5 or 10 K while my child is in the 1K run and Fun Zone?
You know your child best! If your child listens to instructions well, we have a team of running volunteers that supervise and guide the kids. All participants MUST wear a wristband in order to enter the Fun Zone. They cannot enter without it.
Will a volunteer run with my child?
We have an abundance of high school volunteers supervising and running with the children but we cannot provide 1:1 supervision due to the number of participants in this event. You can run with your child in the Fun Run and return to the start line for the 5/10k. The kid’s Fun Run is usually finished by 7:45.
Does my child need to wear the T-shirt? What if it’s cold?
We recommend all the participants wear the brightly colored shirt that you get when you register for ease of identification by our volunteers. If it’s cold, have your child wear a long sleeve shirt under the T-shirt.
How is my child released from the Fun Zone?
Our team of volunteers has strict instructions to only release the child to the person who has their matching wristband.
What time is pick up?
All children must be picked up by 9:30.
Can I run alongside one child and have another in a stroller?
Yes. We prefer if you stay to the sides of the run so you don’t trip anyone.
We aren’t sure who will pick up our child since we are both running the 5k so who should wear the matching wristband?
At registration, request an additional wristband and we will number it to match your child so either parent or guardian can pick up your child.
Can I get a Kids 1k Fun Run T-shirt and run in the 5k?
For the race, the 5k and 10k participants should NOT be wearing the kids 1k Fun Run T-shirt. For safety reasons, only the 1k participants should be wearing them-that’s why we have the shirts in bright colors. If there are any left over T-shirts, they will be sold at the finish line/vendor area after the 5k and 10k are finished.
FUN RUN | ROUTE MAP